No fooling! Peanut butter and jelly buns are a must try!
The only fool you'll find this April, is the person who doesn't try these little beauties: peanut butter and jelly buns. Peanut butter and jelly (jam) is one of the most beautiful flavour combinations in existence. A long loved ingredient in the US, the popularity of peanut butter is growing in the UK. So, how can we introduce this must-be-tasted-to-be-believed pairing of peanut butter and jelly (again, jam) to the UK? Encase it in cake!
My two favourite jellies (yet again, jams) to pair with peanut butter are raspberry and strawberry. The other American preferred jelly (jam) is grape - though grape jam (jelly) can be hard to come by in the shops. So, if you'd like to put a British twist on this American classic, why not go for blackcurrant?
GlutenFreegan Peanut Butter and Jelly Buns
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
1/2 pouch GlutenFreegan vanilla cake mix
100g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
70g apple sauce
75g dairy free spread
1oz (30ml) water
6 tsp raspberry jam (or whatever flavour you prefer)
6 tsp peanut butter
1) Preheat the oven to gas 4/180C/160 fan. Line a bun tin with paper cases or grease well.
2) Remembering to halve the ingredients, prepare half of the vanilla cake mix into batter as per the instructions on the packet. Reseal the packet to use the rest of the vanilla cake mix at another time. The measurements are listed above in this recipe.
3) Put a tablespoon of batter into each bun case.
4) Put half a teaspoon of peanut butter into the center of each bun case.
5) On top of the peanut butter, put half a teaspoon of jam on top of the peanut butter.
6) Cover the peanut butter and jam with another tablespoon of batter.
7) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the buns are golden.