GlutenFreegan Egg Shaped Macaroons
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 13 minutes
Cooling and drying time: 2 hours
For the macaroons:
110g caster sugar
1/2tsp vanilla extract
40g apple sauce
125g dairy free spread
For the icing:
200g icing sugar
8tsp lemon juice (or 4tsp lemon juice and 4 tsp water for a less sharp icing)
natural food colouring
1) Prepare the macaroon mix according to the instructions on the packet. Prior to baking, roll them into balls and then pinch the top so that they are egg shaped. Bake for 12-15 mins or until golden. Leave them for an hour to cool completely.
2) Prepare the icing by whisking together the icing sugar and the lemon juice. Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth.
3) Dunk the macaroons into the icing round side down and put them back on their baking sheet to set. This takes approximately 1 hour.
4) In the meanwhile, divide the remaining icing into bowls or cups and add your desired food colouring (there are lots of all natural food colourings out there!)
5) Use the coloured icing to decorate your eggs in whatever way you like! There's no way to go wrong! You can dip them, drizzle them, splatter them, smudge them, spear them or paint them. They will end up looking colourful and fun! When I did them by myself, I put the frosting into sandwich bags, snipped the corner, and drizzled in a v-shape. When I did them with Elliott, we drizzled using ice-cream sticks. If you have fun with this, you can't go wrong!