GlutenFreegan Christmas Pudding
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus overnight to soak fruit)
Steaming time: 6 hours
Total time: 6 hours 10 minutes
200g (half a pouch) GlutenFreegan vanilla cake mix (reseal the pouch to make another cobbler or 6 delicious cupcakes, 12 buns or cobbler topping with the remaining mix)
1 tsp mixed spice
110g dark brown sugar
1tbsp golden syrup
450g mixed dried fruit (can be a premixed selection of raisins, sultanas, currants and mixed peel or see below for other suggestions to change things up!)
90g dairy free spread
180ml (6 fl oz) brandy (120ml for soaking the fruit and 60ml for the pudding)
300ml (10 oz) water (120ml for soaking the fruit and 180ml for the pudding)
1) Overnight, soak your dried fruit in120ml (4oz) brandy and 120ml (4oz) water
2) Grease your pudding bowl or steamer and line the bottom of it with a disc of non-stick baking paper
3) In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring together the soaked fruit, 60ml (2oz) brandy, 180ml (6oz) water, dark brown sugar, golden syrup and dairy free spread. Stir mixture until the spread is melted and then take it off the heat and transfer it to a heat proof mixing bowl.
3) Add the GlutenFreegan vanilla cake mix and mixed spice to the fruit mixture and stir together until combined
4) Pour the pudding batter into your pudding bowl or steamer and cover with a layer of non-stick paper and foil. Secure the foil with the lid of the steamer or some kitchen string.
5) Place your steamer in a large saucepan with enough water to come about half-way up the side of the bowl. Simmer it, covered, for about 6 hours and check on it periodically to add more water. Let it stand for about 10 minutes and run a knife along the inside of the bowl before turning it out.
Ways to change things up!
Instead of brandy, or instead of water, use apple juice or pineapple juice for flavour and extra sweetness
Instead of the pre-packed fruit mix, try my family's favourite dried fruit mixture: 50g chopped dried apples, 50g chopped dried apricots, 100g chopped prunes, 120g sultanas, 70g raisins, 70g chopped dates.