GlutenFreegan Blueberry Upside-down Cake
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 50 mins - 1 hour
1 pouch GlutenFreegan vanilla cake mix
150g dairy free spread (with a little extra for greasing)
200g caster sugar
140g apple sauce
30g (or two heaped tablespoons) demerara sugar
1) Grease the bottom and sides of your 23cm/9in cake tin.
2) Sprinkle the demerara sugar on the bottom of the pan in a thin and even layer.
3) Put a single layer of blueberries on top of the sugar.
4) Prepare the vanilla cake mix according to the instructions on the packet.
5) Dollop the mix on top of the blueberries and then smooth the top. Bake for 50 mins - 1 hour or when a toothpick comes out clean.
6) When the cake is fresh out of the oven, run a knife around the edge of the tin and turn the cake out. I do this by placing a dinner plate on top of the pan and wearing a pair of oven gloves, hold the pan with the plate on top, and in one smooth motion, flip it over so that the plate is on the bottom and the tin is on top. You should feel the cake fall onto the plate. Lift the tin up and see your beautiful upside-down cake!